The Psoas Major in Yoga and Life
with Libby Hinsley, PT
Learn the significance of the psoas muscle and how yoga teachers can most effectively work with it in their classes.
This week’s podcast episode is a very special treat because you get to eavesdrop on a conversation with one of my oldest and dearest yoga buddies.
Libby and I met in teacher training about 14 years ago. Post-training she went to India, studied in the Desikachar lineage, and went to PT school. Through all that time and different paths, we have evolved our teaching and understanding in similar ways and love getting together to nerd out about yoga, biomechanics, and life.
- What Libby thinks is the primary role of the psoas muscle (it’s probably not what you think).
- Symptoms of psoas dysfunction.
- Two reasons why modern humans have more problems with the psoas than our ancestors.
- How the psoas shapes the body.
- Two neuromuscular principles for supporting the psoas to lengthen.
- A formula for working with the psoas in yoga classes.
- The problem with most anatomical cues and what you can do instead
Invitation for Inspired Action
Write a sequence using Libby’s psoas love formula. Who is your audience? Will they benefit from indirect strengthening or can you target the psoas major muscles directly?
Share it on the Yoga Teacher Resource Facebook Group!
Links and Resources
Join the Yoga Teacher Resource Email list to get access to bonus content for all episodes, both past and future.