How Technology is Changing Yoga with Alex Haley
Meditation teacher and assistant professor at the University of Minnesota, Alex Haley, joins Mado to discuss the intersection of mindfulness and technology.
Psst. Want to get an email each time a new episode is released?
Alex Haley, meditation teacher and assistant professor at the University of Minnesota, joins Mado to discuss the intersection of mindfulness and technology and how those of us who are interested in wellness relate to technology and our tech-driven world. They also talk in-depth about how technology impacts our teaching of yoga and mindfulness, our students, and the people we love.
If you have questions or concerns about meditation apps and online teaching or are interested in how technology is changing our culture, you will appreciate this episode.
Insights shared in this episode:
- The benefits and limitations of meditation apps as well as current trends in apps.
- Alex’s recommended apps and how he chooses his recommendations.
- The differences between using meditation apps vs having a teacher and a community to learn with.
- The business side of apps and online educational platforms for yoga and meditation teachers.
- Advice for yoga teachers to make sure they are getting fairly compensated on the online platforms.
- How yoga teachers can prepare and educate themselves about apps and how to use the technology in a practical and balanced way.
Citations Alex mentions in the episode:
Mistretta, E. G., Davis, M. C., Temkit, M. H., Lorenz, C., Darby, B., & Stonnington, C. M. (2018). Resilience training for work-related stress among health care workers: results of a randomized clinical trial comparing in-person and smartphone-delivered interventions. Journal of occupational and environmental medicine, 60(6), 559-568.
Adolph, K. E., & Hoch, J. E. (2019). Motor development: Embodied, embedded, enculturated, and enabling. Annual review of psychology, 70, 141-164.
Links and Resources
Fall group coaching mastermind program
Join the Yoga Teacher Resource Facebook Group
Get on the Yoga Teacher Resource Email List