What is Cultural Appropriation?
with Rina Deshpande
Learn how to identify cultural appropriation, how it relates to yoga, and how we can use this information to ease the suffering and harm it can cause.
Explore the nuanced topic of cultural appropriation in this week’s podcast episode. Learn what it is, how to identify it, how it relates to yoga, and how we can use this information to ease the suffering and harm it can cause.
- Defining cultural appropriation from both direct personal experience and a research/writing perspective
- What cultural appropriation in the yoga community looks like
- How to identify cultural appropriation when it is happening
- How cultural appropriation causes harm
- Intersectionality and representation in yoga
- Compassion, empathy, and conversations as tools for dealing with the issue of cultural appropriation
Links and Resources
NEW! Become a patron of the yoga teacher resource podcast to support ad-free episodes and receive bonus content